winnigin european schools 2017
These are the school selected to partecipate at the event “Europe begins at Lampedusa 2017”
- Schumpeter Handelsakademie Wien 13
Migration Mannequin Challenge
- Licée Léonard de Vinci, Levallois-Perret FRANCE
A Migrant, A Story
- Sir Michaelangelo Refalo Sixt Form, Goro MALTA
- IES María Soliño, Cangas SPAGNA
Open the Wall to the Refugees
If you are a journalist or a delegate and you would like to meet italian and european students meeting In Lampedusa to honor the people who died and raise awareness of the migration tragedy from from September 30th till October 3rd, 2017 please contact Daniela Gambino +39 328 877 5341.
You can send a request at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a teacher and you need to know in which group is your delegation please contact Tareke +39 380 796 8748
If you are a student please share your contents and photos via social on Facebook – Twitter – Instagram using @europalampedusa #europalampedusa17
If you need any assistante call Sabrina +39 335 7814 114
Address of the school where workshop are taking place:
Istituto Onnicomprensivo Luigi Pirandello
Via Grecale, 92010 Lampedusa
Why are we celebrating october 3?
On October, the 3rd, 2013, 368 migrants died in a dreadful shipwreck off the Italian island of Lampedusa. It was just one of the cruelest tragedy in the long trail of death since the mass migrations from North Africa began few years ago. The UNHCR rates that more than 2600 persons have died in the Mediterranean sea from 2011 so far. The Italian Parliament has therefore established a Remembering Day every 3rd of October, to honor the people who died and raise awareness of the migration tragedy.
The “Europe begins at Lampedusa” initiative aims to involve Italian and European students in learning activities and events specifically concerning the issues of global interdependence and human rights, with a particular focus on migrations and the rights of refugees and asylum seekers.
School are therefore invited to discuss these issues, in order to spread the culture of information, coexistence and peace, founded on respect for human rights. Click here to apply at the project Europe begins at Lampedusa from 30th September till 3rd October 2016
students and teachers from European Union countries. Each country will be represented by 3 English speaking students (aged 16-18) accompanied by 1 teacher.
Travel, Meals and Lodging
offered by the Ministry of Education, Italy
Students must be aged 16-18, their english competence Level B2 CEFR
- The registration form (filled in every part)
- Passport photo – digital format (JPG format)
- Short video clips: no more than 30 seconds (AVI format). In this short videos, one per school, all participants will briefly introduce themselves or their school/class.
Activities will be concluded in Lampedusa, where students from Italy and Europe will meet for from 30 September to 3 October, to go deeper into their reflection, commemorate the event and show their commitment.
The initiative includes two steps:
- Within Sept., 2017 – Italian and European classes (students aged 16-18) are involved in didactic activities and workshops in their schools; these activities will result in producing materials (e.g. writing, drawing, photography, videos, various types of multimedia etc.) focusing on migration issues. They will show their work during the meeting in Lampedusa and 3 of them will be selected and donated to the Museum of Dialogue and Trust.
- From the 30th of Sept. to the 3rd of October, 2017 – A delegation of 3 students and a teacher from each school will gather in the isle of Lampedusa, where they will be engaged in workshops, debates, performances.